Galactic habitable zone
Solar systems that can support life as we know it, we’ve learned, are not likely to be anywhere in a galaxy. Scientists, in 2021 believe some things …
- The Milky Way Galaxy is a disk, with a greater density of stars and solar systems in the center
- The Milky Way Galaxy is a bar spiral, in that it has two or four arms and a center mass
- The Milky Way is around 100 million light years across
- Stars at the outer edge of the arms are accompanied by fewer heavy atoms, like iron and carbon
- Stars nearer the center of the galaxy are in a domain of high levels of radiation compared to the Sun
In our hippie past, we marveled at the Drake Equation, an attempt to illustrate the likelihood of life on another planet.